Thursday, October 09, 2014
Tangy Chicken Kebabs with Lemon, Oregano & Fresh Parsley
Adapted from Broccoli, Love and Dark Chocolate: Because food, love, and life should be delicious!
Prep time 15 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes to overnight in the fridge
Assembly time: 15 minutes
Grill time: 8-10 minutes
Serves 4 (or two hungry people with a little leftovers - great for lunch)
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2" cubes
1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
medium cremini mushrooms whole ( 4-5 per skewer)
1 medium red onion, cut into chunks big enough not to fall apart when skewered I use 2-3 layers (see photo)
1 green onion, (white & green parts) finely chopped
Grated peel and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fr oregano, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried ( I love to use Dionysios wild herb blend from Epices de Cru)
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or - my favorite Aleppo Pepper flakes.
1. In a bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients.
2. Add the chicken to the marinade and coat well. Note: if you are going to briefly marinate the chicken, add the onions, mushrooms and red pepper chunks to the marinade as well. if you are marinating overnight, don't add the vegetables until 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Preheat the grill to medium high.
4. Prepare the skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, they should be soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
5. Grill the chicken skewers for 6-10 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken cubes. Rotate every 2-3 minutes so the chicken cooks but doesn't burn.