Wednesday, September 19, 2012

David Rocco's Hot, Hot, Hot Chili Pesto

From David Rocco's Made in Italy (and also on his website)

Printable Recipe

Prep time: 5-10 minutes (I split all the chilies and removed the seeds to make it a bit milder)
Makes: David says 2 cups, mine came out to one cup

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh red chili peppers (I removed the seeds to make it milder - still very spicy, so the heat level is up to you)
2 large cloves garlic
1 cup sun dried tomatoes (I roasted my own grape tomatoes cut in half and drizzled with a little olive oil and a grinding of black pepper for at least 6 hours at 225 degrees F/107C.  They should be mostly dry but still a bit chewy)
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil

Directions:  David uses a mezzaluna.  I opted for a quick blitz in a food processor.  Mine was finer than the photo in the book, but extremely tasty.
1.  Drop the peeled garlic through the feeding tube of the food processor with the motor running.

2. Add the red chili peppers and pulse a few times.  Add the sun dried tomatoes and basil to the bowl and turn the power on while pouring the oil through the feeding tube.  This should only take a few seconds.   You don't want a puree.

3.  Place in a small pickling jar (I filled two 125ml/4.2oz ) that I let sit in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drained.  Top with a little more olive oil if there's room.

This is an awesome condiment with anything.  Last night I served it with Grilled Rosemary & Garlic Flank Steak.  It was so addictive I tossed the Roasted Cauliflower with some too.   Not to mention adding it to the Swiss Chard from the garden as it was sauteing with onions.

No comments: