Sunday, November 09, 2008

Bread Machine Challah (Egg Bread)

Bread Machine Challah (Egg Bread)
Adapted from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Bread machine time: 3 hours

Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients: Make sure you place the ingredients in the order given. This recipe is for a medium loaf which for my bread maker means 1½ lb (680g) loaf
¾ cup water
2 large eggs
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp gluten with vitamin C
1½ tsp salt
1¾ tsp SAF yeast or 2¼ tsp bread machine yeast (my choice)
1 tbsp poppy or sesame seeds for sprinkling

Directions:
1. Place all the ingredients IN ORDER into the bread machine. Set crust to medium and program Basic cycle setting and press start. (My machine takes 3 hours).

Note: The book says to add the poppy or sesame seeds during the third rising, close the lid and allow to finish rising and baking. Unfortunately, I was going out, so I missed this step.

The loaf came out huge but perfect for sandwiches or French toast.

No comments: